Company Directors CEO appointed chair of new global director network
- Date: 07 Jan 2013
- Type: Media Release
John Colvin FAICD, Chief Executive and Managing Director of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, has been unanimously elected chairman of the new Global Network of Director Institutes (GNDI).
GNDI is an international partnership between nine leading membership organisations for corporate directors in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Europe, Malaysia, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
John Colvin will be supported in his role by Stan Magidson, President and CEO of the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) in Canada, who will serve as deputy chairman.
“The GNDI brings together the leading associations serving corporate directors around the world to complement the work of its member organisations, providing a global voice and a forum for sharing knowledge, insights and leading practices,” said John Colvin.
“I am pleased to have been elected the Chair of this group which will discuss issues that are having an impact globally on corporate governance, promote best practice and advocate on relevant governance matters that cut across national boundaries,” he said.
Work to establish the group and develop a charter has been ongoing over the last two years and culminated in the first formal meeting of the group in Wellington, New Zealand in December 2012. At this meeting it was agreed that GNDI members would collaborate to:
- Anticipate and explore emerging issues having global impacts on corporate governance.
- Develop and promote leading practices and programs that enhance the ability of corporate directors to ensure long-term, sustainable performance for the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Educate key influencers regarding the benefits and values of exemplary leadership in the boardroom.
- Amplify the voices and perspectives of corporate directors on matters related to boardroom leadership.
The member institutes of the GNDI represent directors from over 9 countries, with this number anticipated to grow in coming years as other director institutes from around the world join the organisation.
The following membership organisations are members of GNDI and collectively represent more than 100,000 corporate directors worldwide:
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD)
- Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance (IBGC) in Brazil
- European Confederation of Directors Associations (ecoDa)
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) in Canada
- Institute of Directors in New Zealand (IoDNZ)
- Institute of Directors in Southern Africa (IoDSA)
- Institute of Directors (IoD) in the United Kingdom
- Malaysian Alliance of Corporate Directors (MACD), and
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) in the United States.
To find out more about GNDI, please contact us (the GNDI secretariat at Australian Institute of Company Directors) or your local organisation for directors.